I have been seeing lots of pins on Pinterest on bread free lunches. I have to confess – I pack some kind of sandwich for my son every day to school. It is not that I cannot make anything else but it is just that it is easy to slap some lunch meat, some cheese, smear some mayo and voila lunch is packed! I do feel guilty sometimes but it is often variations of some kind of sandwich everyday – PBJ or chicken sandwich or grilled cheese. Sometimes I pack hotdogs but let’s be honest, that is again bread! I do pack mac and cheese or spaghetti once in a while but other than that it is back to sandwiches!
So I decided to try to pack no bread lunches this week. I was able to do it for two days but I relapsed and have gone back to sandwiches again! I am going to try it again next week to steer away from sandwiches for lunch. I will share my no bread lunches here as well.
Below is a recipe of a lunch I packed this week – chicken taquitos. I actually found a good recipe here.I found it via Pinterest. I varied it up based on my kid’s palette and ingredients I had on hand!
4 whole wheat tortillas
1 cup of shredded cheese (I used cheddar)
2 tbsp of butter
2-3 ounces of cream cheese
1/4 cup of milk
1/4 tsp of garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup of shredded cooked chicken
1. Preheat the oven to 425 F.
2. In a saucepan, melt the butter and add garlic powder and cream cheese. Mix well till all is combined. Add the salt and pepper and milk and combine. You can add any more seasonings you like. To make it spicy, you can add hot sauce or pepper flakes.
3. Combine the chicken with the sauce.
4. Lay a tortilla and spread about 1/4 cup of chicken sauce mixture along the center of the tortilla. Add cheese on top and roll up the tortilla tightly and place on a greased pan. Do the same with remaining tortillas. I cut up my tortilla into two before baking.
5. Spray the tortillas with canola oil and bake them for 15-18 minutes. The original recipe calls for rotating the pan midway but I forgot and didn’t do that.
6. Serve warm and enjoy!