Ever since I made a SpongeBob cake for my 7-year-old son on his birthday, my 2-year-old daughter has been insisting on making her a Butterfly cake. I figured I can make one on New Year’s eve to welcome 2014 in style.
I got the inspiration for the cake from Pinterest. Now I got to say, I am no expert baker or cake decorator, I just know enough art/decorations to please my kids! But I am glad the way the cake turned out. It is quite easy to do. I am trying to include step by step pictures with my instructions.
Any box type cake (and ingredients needed for the cake)
1 container of white frosting (I used Cream cheese frosting)
Food colors of choice
Sprinkles or colored sugar
1 Candy Cane
1. Bake the cake per its box instructions. Make sure you bake a circular cake. Once the cake is baked, transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely. Once the cake is cooled, level the top of the cake by cutting out the top.
2. You can see the Pinterest link on how to cut the cake. Turn the cake over so that cut side is down. Cut the cake across first and then cut each half into 1/3 and 2/3rd pieces.
3. Position the cake pieces like in the above picture and voila the butterfly cake structure is ready. Lightly frost the cake so that the crumbs are sealed in. Cool the cake for 15-20 minutes in the refrigerator.
4. Add remaining frosting to cover the cake nicely. Remember to keep some frosting aside for decorations. Once the cake is frosted, you can go ahead and decorate as desired. Use candy cane as the body of the butterfly.
5. I used three colors and piped designs on the wings as outlines. I then filled them in with sprinkles/colored sugar crystals. I forgot to make the top wings design symmetrical…Meh, will make it better next time around
Hope you get inspired to make such a nice cake and wish all my peeps a Happy New Year 2014!