In India, when we say pickle, it is a whole different thing than what you expect in US. Achar or pickle in India is a tangy, spicy dish made with vegetables or meat that gets better as it ages. It is typically served with rice as a condiment and has an unique taste. For the biryani I made today, I decided to make Achari Aloo or potatoes to serve alongside the rice.
I looked online for any recipes and I could only find recipes for paneer or cauliflower. I decided to take tips from those recipes and make one of my own!
5 potatoes peeled and cubed and boiled with salt and little bit of turmeric powder
2 tbsp of red chili powder
1/4 tsp of fenugreek powder
1 tsp of cumin powder
1 tsp of mustard seeds
one lemon juiced
1 tbsp of vinegar
one medium onion sliced thin
one tomato chopped
2 tbsp of ginger garlic paste
Salt to taste
1 tbsp Mustard seeds and curry leaves
1. Pan roast the chili powder, fenugreek powder, mustard seeds and cumin powder. Be careful not to burn the chili powder. Transfer them to a bowl and mix the lemon juice and vinegar. Keep aside.
2. In a saucepan, heat some oil and add 1 tbsp of mustard seeds and curry leaves. Add the sliced onion and saute it.
3. Next add the ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw smell goes away
4. Add the chopped tomato and mix well. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
5. Add the boiled potatoes and the spice mix and combine well. Careful not to over mix and break the potatoes.
6. Cook on medium high for 5 minutes or so. You can add little bit of water if you want Transfer to serving bowl and enjoy with a side of rice or chappatis.