I love anything that is potato based! But the hash browns or tater tots recipes I see online always involve raw potatoes shredded and having to squeeze all the water out to make it dry before mixing it with other ingredients. Recently I came across a recipe that used mashed potatoes and it was quite easy to make as opposed to using raw potatoes. It is not messy and completely vegan with no eggs.
3 Russet Potatoes boiled and peeled and mashed
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
1 teaspoon of onion powder
Salt and pepper to taste
Oil to fry
1. Ensure the potatoes are smoothly mashed. You can pass it through a potato ricer or mash it with a masher.
2. Add all the other ingredients and mix well.
3. Form little tater tot shaped rounds out of the mixture and keep it aside
4. Bring a pot of oil to fry. When it reaches the boiling point of around 325 or 350 F, drop in the tater tots. Do not crowd the pot. Fry the tater tots till they turn golden brown outside
5. Transfer to a paper towel to drain the oil and serve with some ketchup. I usually pair it with another vegetable like brocoli.